Turkey Chili: serves a lot! Make this huge pot and freeze batches for later.
This is my take on my Mom’s delicious chili. I reduced the amount of meat, added more veggies and more beans.
- 1 package of 99% lean ground turkey breast (I always use Jennie-O)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon chili seasoning (I use Brown Bag Chili Mix)
- cayenne pepper (according to you taste – be careful cayenne pepper is VERY spicy)
- (1) 28oz can tomato puree
- (1) 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 12oz tomato juice
- (3) 15oz cans chili beans in hot sauce
- (2) 15oz cans dark red kidney beans
Brown turkey over medium heat and drain any liquid. Chop red bell pepper, green bell pepper and onion.
Combine tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, chili beans and kidney beans in to a very large pot or crockpot. Add peppers, onions and ground turkey then add chili seasoning and cayenne pepper (it’s best to add cayenne pepper in small doses and “test” it to be sure it’s not too hot).
Heat on a stove over low heat for an hour stirring frequently or in a crockpot for how ever long you would like. It’s best to let it sit overnight in the refrigerator after you’re done heating the chili and eat it the next day.
Top off with 1-2 tablespoons of reduced fat shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese if you’d like and Enjoy!
XOXO The Glam Runner