Healthy Fish Tacos: Serves 1 (makes 2 tacos)
•3oz Tilapia Filet (or other white fish)
•1 Lime (cut in to 4 wedges)
•6oz Plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt
•3 Tablespoons Hot Salsa (I like Pace •Picante for this recipe)
•2 Corn Tortillas
•1/2 Cup Chopped Red Cabbage
•1 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro
Prepare yogurt sauce:
Mix 1 teaspoon of chili powder, juice of 3 lime wedges and hot salsa in to Greek Yogurt, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. You can use more or less of the ingredients according to your taste.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a piece of foil (enough to fold over and make a packet) with cooking spray and place a tilapia filet on to foil. Squeeze the juice of the last lime wedge on to the tilapia. Sprinkle fish with desired amounts of chili powder, cumin and coriander. Fold the foil over to make an enclosed packet, place on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until fully cooked.
Heat corn tortillas on a griddle until browned. Cut fish in to strips and distribute evenly on to tortillas. Top with red cabbage and 1 tablespoon of yogurt sauce on each taco. Enjoy!
1. You will have a lot of extra yogurt sauce left over. Use in place of sour cream on anything you usually put sour cream on.
2. Amounts of spices and toppings are all up to you. Use whatever amounts you want to suite your taste.
3. Can use a less spicy salsa in the yogurt sauce if you do not like spicy food.
4. Yogurt Sauce goes great on chicken tacos as well!
5. I always use culantro instead of cilantro. It tastes exactly the same but it much easier to wash and chop.
XOXO The Glam Runner
Lime-Chicken and Black Bean Fajitas: Serves 2 (3 fajitas each)
- 2 three oz chicken breast filets (cut in to strips)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bell pepper (cut in to thin strips)
- 1/4 of an onion (cut in to thin strips)
- 1 lime (cut into 4 wedges)
- 1/2 cup of canned black beans (rinsed)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 avocado (cut in to cubes)
- 2-3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 6 tablespoons of salsa
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat and add garlic until it becomes fragrant. Increase heat to medium and add chicken. Squeeze lime juice from 2 of the wedges over chicken, sprinkle chicken with chili powder, cumin and coriander and flip with tongs while cooking.
Add bell peppers and onions when chicken is almost done cooking. Cook in skillet until vegetables begin to become soft. Add black beans, squeeze juice of 1 more lime wedge reduce the heat a bit and cover skillet for about 5-10 minutes until veggies are soft.
Brown tortillas on a griddle. Squeeze the juice of the last lime wedge over chicken and veggies then fill tortillas with chicken, peppers, onions, black beans and top with even amounts avocado, cilantro and salsa.
XOXO The Glam Runner
- I use corn tortillas because they are much lower in calories than flour tortillas
- Choose the amount of topping you would like to put on the fajitas
- I use culantro instead of cilantro. It’s the exact same flavor but the leaves are MUCH easier to wash and chop
- You can also use fat-free refried beans instead of black beans. I used black beans because they are better for you
Turkey Chili: serves a lot! Make this huge pot and freeze batches for later.
This is my take on my Mom’s delicious chili. I reduced the amount of meat, added more veggies and more beans.
- 1 package of 99% lean ground turkey breast (I always use Jennie-O)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon chili seasoning (I use Brown Bag Chili Mix)
- cayenne pepper (according to you taste – be careful cayenne pepper is VERY spicy)
- (1) 28oz can tomato puree
- (1) 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 12oz tomato juice
- (3) 15oz cans chili beans in hot sauce
- (2) 15oz cans dark red kidney beans
Brown turkey over medium heat and drain any liquid. Chop red bell pepper, green bell pepper and onion.
Combine tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, chili beans and kidney beans in to a very large pot or crockpot. Add peppers, onions and ground turkey then add chili seasoning and cayenne pepper (it’s best to add cayenne pepper in small doses and “test” it to be sure it’s not too hot).
Heat on a stove over low heat for an hour stirring frequently or in a crockpot for how ever long you would like. It’s best to let it sit overnight in the refrigerator after you’re done heating the chili and eat it the next day.
Top off with 1-2 tablespoons of reduced fat shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese if you’d like and Enjoy!
XOXO The Glam Runner
Cajun Lime Shrimp Tacos: Serves 2
2 teaspoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 poblano pepper (seeds and membranes removed and cut in to small strips)
6oz fresh or frozen shrimp (thawed, peeled and deveined)
1 lime (cut in to 4 wedges)
4 corn tortillas
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
4 tablespoons of salsa or pico de gallo
1/2 of a small avocado (divided in to 4 pieces and cut in to squares)
Heat skillet on medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and garlic until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add poblano pepper strips and cook until it just starts to become soft. Add second teaspoon of olive oil and shrimp. Squeeze the juice of one of the lime wedges on to the shrimp and peppers and sprinkle shrimp with Cajun seasoning. Turn shrimp over and do the same of the other side. Continue to cook shrimp until fully cooked adding the juice from the 3rd lime wedge and add more Cajun seasoning (as desired). Squeeze the juice of the last lime wedge on to the shrimp and peppers after everything is fully cooked and heat is turned off. Remove any skins from poblano the peppers if they become loose.
Steam or cook tortillas on a griddle until browned. Evenly add cooked shrimp and peppers on to the corn tortillas. Top with desired amount of chopped onion, cilantro, avocado and salsa. Enjoy!
- Feel free to add more or less lime juice or Cajun seasoning
- Toppings do not need to be exact
- Can also top with pineapple mango salsa
- Can mash the avocado to make it more of a guacamole texture
- Shrimp and pepper mixture is also good served on top of brown rice
- Try this recipe with chicken
XOXO The Glam Runner
Spicy Chicken & Ricotta Pasta with Kale (serves 2) – a little delicious creation I made! I used 100% whole grain pasta and the super food kale. Perfect runner’s food!
- 4 oz 100% whole wheat pasta (uncooked). I used rotini noodles – penne would probably be best
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 1/2 cup reduced fat or fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen kale (thawed)
- 1 cup low sugar tomato pasta sauce – I used Emeril’s Organic Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 6 fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less according to your taste)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Grill chicken breast on a grill pan or an outdoor grill.
Drain pasta, chop chicken breast. Add chicken, tomato sauce, thawed kale, ricotta cheese, crushed red pepper and basil. Stir until combined and heat until thoroughly warmed. Enjoy!
- Can use frozen spinach instead of kale
- Can leave the chicken breast out to make it vegetarian
- You might have to add a little bit more tomato sauce
- Can use quinoa, brown rice or rice pasta to make it gluten-free
- Add more or less crushed red pepper and/or basil according to your taste
Enjoy! XOXO The Glam Runner
Egg Avocado & Salsa Breakfast Sandwich
1 whole egg (Eggland’s Best is my favorite)
1 egg white
1/4 of a ripe avocado
2 TBS salsa
1 Whole Grain English Muffin (I use Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain English Muffins)
Cook the egg and egg white what ever way you’d like (I do scrambled), toast English muffin. Slice the avocado in to strips.
Place cooked egg on toasted English muffin, top with avocado & salsa.
Chicken & Black Bean Tostadas
3oz chicken breast fillet
2 corn tortillas
2 TBS low sugar BBQ sauce
1/4 cup black beans
1 TBS reduced fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 TBS chopped cilantro
Non food needs: cookie sheet, foil & cooking spray
Turn oven on to “Broil” on high. Line a cookie tray with foil & spray the foil with cooking spray so tortillas don’t stick. Place tortillas on foil lined cookie tray and put under the broiler until the tortillas are browned & crispy on both sides. Turn broiler off and turn the oven on to 350 degrees. *pay close attention so tortillas don’t burn, it happens very quickly.
Grill chicken breast on a grill pan or outdoor grill until fully cooked. Chop chicken and mix with 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce; divide 2nd tablespoon of BBQ sauce evenly on crispy tortillas. Divide equal amounts of grilled chicken, black beans & reduced fat cheese on both tortillas. Place back in to oven until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle tostadas with cilantro and enjoy!
*can be made in to tacos by steaming the tortillas instead of broiling them until crispy
*gluten free if your BBQ sauce is gluten free
*serves 1 or 2. I need to eat both to be satisfied