Looking for some healthy snack options that will actually satisfy you? I’m always searching for snacks that will fill me up and have a healthy balance of nutrients. I am not one of those who can do the “no carb” low carb” or “paleo” diet – I am a runner, an endurance athlete and I need my healthy carbs and ALL nutrients. I have found my body reacts best when I combine protein, healthy carbs and healthy fats in everything I eat – something I learned and live by after reading the book “Skinny Chicks Don’t Eat Salads” by Christine Avanti.
We need protein to build muscle and aid in recovery from our work outs. Some also say protein keeps them full but this is not true for me. Carbs are the energy nutrient; they are the prefered source of nutrients for energy from our bodies. Make sure you only eat healthy carbs from whole grains, fruit and veggies though – sorry but candy and sugar doesn’t count. As long as you are eating healthy complex carbohydrates, you will be getting the fiber that your body needs as well. The benefits of fiber are endless. There are studies that say fiber might be a key in preventing certain diseases because fiber ensures that the waste is being flushed out of the body. Some studies are showing fiber actually helps block fat in our bodies too! I know I feel my lightest and best when I am eating plenty of complex carbohydrates and plenty of fruits and veggies. Believe it or not we also need healthy fats. Healthy fats from nuts, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils, avocados and even dark chocolate are all examples of healthy fats. Healthy fats help us feel full and are good for our heart. We also need fats for healthy hair, nails and skin. Just be sure to watch your portion sizes with these fats. I usually stick to 1 tablespoon of nut butter, 1/4 of an avocado, no more than a 1/4 cup of nuts and 2 teaspoons of oil per serving.
Here are a few of my favorite snack combinations:
- 5oz Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tablespoon sliced raw almonds, 6 pieces of celery and 1 tablespoon of almond butter. Dannon’s Light & Fit Greek yogurt is the lowest sugar Greek yogurt that I have found and it is a God send for me! I avoided Greek yogurt for so long because they all had 19-25 grams of sugar, not acceptable to me. Dannon’s Light & Fit Greek yogurt has 8 grams of sugar and 12 grams of protein. The sliced almonds and almond butter have healthy fat, the yogurt and berries have carbs and obviously the yogurt has the protein (the almond butter had a little protein too). You are also getting 2 full servings of fruits/veggies!
- 1 slice of Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin live sprouted grain bread (toasted), 1 tablespoon of almond butter and 1 banana. This is the PERFECT pre or post run snack! I eat this all the time before I go running in the morning. You get healthy carbs and protein in the Ezekiel bread and the banana then you get protein and healthy fat in the almond butter. What is Ezekiel bread? Well, this bread is probably the healthiest bread you can eat. It is made without flour, it is made with live sprouted organic grains like wheat, barley, millet, lentils, soybeans and spelt. Much better than traditional bread that has a little bit of wheat and flour.
- 1 Medium apple, 1 tablespoon of almond butter and a reduced fat mozzarella cheese stick. The apple provides carbs, the almond butter provides a bit of protein and healthy fat and the cheese provides protein.
- 1 bell pepper, 1/2 of a cucumber, 6-8 stalks of celery, 1oz humus and 1 tablespoon almond butter. This is a great one because you’re getting 3 full servings of veggies and it is loaded with fiber. There aren’t many carbs in this snack but the veggies do provide some carbs, the humus has a bit of healthy fat and protein. The almond butter has healthy fat and protein as well.
- 1 container of sugar free-fat free pudding, 1/2 cup of strawberries and 1 tablespoon of sliced almonds. This is perfect for when you get a bit of a sweet tooth and it makes a great dessert. You can enjoy the pudding without the guilt while getting some protein. The strawberries have carbs and the sliced almonds has healthy fat.
Everyone seems to have an eating style that works for them best. As a runner and the fact that I work out hard, I need a combination of all nutrients…protein, carbs and healthy fat. These snack ideas are healthy for anyone that eats for health and energy. Enjoy!
XOXO The Glam Runner