Lime-Chicken and Black Bean Fajitas: Serves 2 (3 fajitas each)
- 2 three oz chicken breast filets (cut in to strips)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bell pepper (cut in to thin strips)
- 1/4 of an onion (cut in to thin strips)
- 1 lime (cut into 4 wedges)
- 1/2 cup of canned black beans (rinsed)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 avocado (cut in to cubes)
- 2-3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 6 tablespoons of salsa
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat and add garlic until it becomes fragrant. Increase heat to medium and add chicken. Squeeze lime juice from 2 of the wedges over chicken, sprinkle chicken with chili powder, cumin and coriander and flip with tongs while cooking.
Add bell peppers and onions when chicken is almost done cooking. Cook in skillet until vegetables begin to become soft. Add black beans, squeeze juice of 1 more lime wedge reduce the heat a bit and cover skillet for about 5-10 minutes until veggies are soft.
Brown tortillas on a griddle. Squeeze the juice of the last lime wedge over chicken and veggies then fill tortillas with chicken, peppers, onions, black beans and top with even amounts avocado, cilantro and salsa.
XOXO The Glam Runner
- I use corn tortillas because they are much lower in calories than flour tortillas
- Choose the amount of topping you would like to put on the fajitas
- I use culantro instead of cilantro. It’s the exact same flavor but the leaves are MUCH easier to wash and chop
- You can also use fat-free refried beans instead of black beans. I used black beans because they are better for you
Chicken & Black Bean Tostadas
3oz chicken breast fillet
2 corn tortillas
2 TBS low sugar BBQ sauce
1/4 cup black beans
1 TBS reduced fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 TBS chopped cilantro
Non food needs: cookie sheet, foil & cooking spray
Turn oven on to “Broil” on high. Line a cookie tray with foil & spray the foil with cooking spray so tortillas don’t stick. Place tortillas on foil lined cookie tray and put under the broiler until the tortillas are browned & crispy on both sides. Turn broiler off and turn the oven on to 350 degrees. *pay close attention so tortillas don’t burn, it happens very quickly.
Grill chicken breast on a grill pan or outdoor grill until fully cooked. Chop chicken and mix with 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce; divide 2nd tablespoon of BBQ sauce evenly on crispy tortillas. Divide equal amounts of grilled chicken, black beans & reduced fat cheese on both tortillas. Place back in to oven until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle tostadas with cilantro and enjoy!
*can be made in to tacos by steaming the tortillas instead of broiling them until crispy
*gluten free if your BBQ sauce is gluten free
*serves 1 or 2. I need to eat both to be satisfied